Monday, January 11, 2010

Grandma's Porch

I love the porch on my grandmother's house. It is nothing elegant. It wraps around about one-fourth of the house, and it is stone and concrete. Quite plain, actually. But I love that porch. I love the memories made playing on it. I love the old metal furniture that I used to sit in with my great grandfather. I love the sound of the wind chimes displayed there. And I love the smell, so reminiscent of all the times I spent on that porch.

One of the last times Grandma and I were on that porch together was during her decline. It was a nice warm day, and I knew the fresh air would do her good. So I lugged some chairs out there, and we just sat together. Listening to the wind chimes. Watching people and cars go by. Visiting. Just being.

I love that porch.

3 comments:

YMinisterswife said...

It is so funny and beautiful that we remember simple days and smells, but in all it's simplicity it remains in our hearts as the most special moments in life.

Thanks for sharing this memory!

thegermanygirl said...

I love this post, Stef. You've used simplicity to convey a great wealth of peace and contentment. I needed that. Thank you. :o)

nourish-n-cherish said...

I have been reading through your posts, and I think your grandmother was a special lady. I am very sorry she died. My prayers for you to cope - may you count your blessings that you could enjoy her company.